Powered By

Free XML Skins for Blogger

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, March 1, 2009

And now....the rest of the story.

Yes - I loved hearing that. I grew up listening to Paul Harvey and his "Rest of the story" snippets that followed the regular evening news on the radio. Sadly, it was announced that Paul Harvey died at the ripe old age of 90 on Saturday 2/28/09.

The one story I remember hearing as a kid was one where the action took place in Germany during World War 1. It was the story of a young private in the Army. I don't recall every minute detail the way he explained it - but - what I remember is the story goes that this young private and two others were being flanked by the enemy. They ran in to a shack. A few minutes pass and a grenade is tossed in to the shack. The young private is prepared to jump on the grenade - but - in his hesitation - one of his fellow soldiers got there first. The grenade exploded and left the other two soldiers safe. They managed to get out through the back of the shack and invade their potential captors. As Paul Harvey told it - and now..the rest of the story - that young soldier in WWI was a member of the German Army - his name - Adolf Hitler.

Had Hitler not hesitated and if his fellow soldier not gotten their first - this world would have been spared WWII and the misery that followed.

If you'd like to give your condolences - you can go here.

R.I.P. Mr. Harvey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember the Hitler story, but I heard plenty of similar tales from the late, great Paul Harvey. He will be missed, for sure. We'll not see his kind again and that's a real tragedy.

Anonymous said...

I remember going to elementary school and listening to Paul harvey on the bus. I think he used to start out by saying something like "Good morning, Americans." I don't remember what the guy talked about but thinking about that still gives me a warm feeling.

http://politicalanimal.today.com/